Too Shocking and Grieving, but with An Important Lesson to be
#Tags: Quran, Quranic Teachings, Religion, Sufism, Sufi, Aalim, Righteous Path, Greek Mythology, Pierian Spring
Brigadier (Retd.) Dr. Ahsan ur Rahman Khan
Three days back I happen to see two youtube vlogs. Both deeply grieved me.
One showed the video recording of a musical ceremony for the “Peer Saheban”, of the famous Golra Sharif, who are so much revered by so many as the ‘torch-bearers’ of ‘Sufism’.
What can be seen in the recording of that musical ceremony of the “Peer Saheban”, if not out-rightly ‘haram’, was certainly a ‘laghw’ activity. ‘Laghw’ is an Arabic word which “In Islamic context means “evil vain talk”, vain, dirty, falsehood, nonsensical, meaningless and anything forbidden by Allah. It refers to anything which serves no purpose or goal in a proper Muslim life”. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laghw). We certainly do not find any example of any of such ‘laghw’ activities in the records of the period of our Holy Prophet (SAW), Ahl-e-Bait Karam (R. A.), Sahaba Karam (R. A.), and the renowned pious Sufis.
In Surah Furqan of Quran, while mentioning about ‘Ebad ur Rahman’ (servants of Allah) in Ayah 72 Allah (SWT) made it very clear as to how ‘Ebad ur Rahman’ react to ‘laghw’:-
(Translation. And these are the people who do not attend (both verbally and practically) the false and untruthful matters, and when they pass by evil activities, they pass on (observing caution) with utmost nobility and dignity). (note the word ‘laghw’ in this Ayah).
We know that generally the ‘Peer Saheban’ and ‘Maulana Saheban’ vehemently preach to avoid and not to attend such ‘laghw’ activities; but in this case the ‘Peer Saheban’ and their ‘Mureeds’ kept on sitting and enjoying it. That way, in my very humble understanding of Quran and Sunnah they violated the injunction of Allah (SWT) given in Ayah 3 Surah Saff:
(Translation. Grievously odious is it in the sight of Allah (SWT) that you say which you don’t do.)
To understand what I have said, please watch yourself this (4. 08 minutes) vlog video recording:-
In the context of my knowledge of ‘Sufism’, which many ‘Peer Saheban’ claim to be their spiritual practice, I must clarify that I have no illusion of myself to be a learned person. However, Allah (SWT) with His ‘Rahmah’ has given me a curious mind. Whenever I come across something or phenomenon which I don’t understand my curious mind gets involved in its inquiry. That was how I have spent much time in trying to understand this phenomenon. For that purpose I studied the books, or the collections of the lectures etc generally known as ‘malfoozat’, of many renowned pious Sufis of the previous centuries, as also books of the non-Muslim European scholars who conducted research in this field. I also discussed certain aspects of this phenomenon with those persons who had some knowledge about it. All through that process I kept one criteria in my mind to check the correctness or otherwise of the aspects of ‘Sufi’ practices; i.e. no aspect of correct ‘Sufi’ practice can be in contravention of any injunction of Quran and Sunnah. And, I found the teachings and practices of so many renowned ‘Sufis’ of the previous centuries strictly within the bounds of Quran and Sunnah. I have therefore no doubt that correct ‘Tasawuf’ is only the beautiful practice of application of ‘Sharia’ as ordained in Quran and Sunnah. And, unfortunately what all can be seen in this vlog contradicts that criteria; hence so shocking and grieving.
The other youtube vlog is the recording of the ‘bayan’ (speech) of a person who is generally known as a ‘Maulana’ and ‘Aalim’ (scholar with deep and credible knowledge). He goes around for ‘Tableegh’, and gathers large crowd because of his skill in public speaking. However, his ‘bayan’ in this vlog shows that he is certainly not an ‘Aalim’ of credence. In fact, otherwise too, he is known for often indulging in quoting/mixing up untruth in his speech just to make the ‘bayan’ more attention–catching – even at times directly or indirectly causing insult even to the holy personalities. In this vlog-recorded ‘bayan’ he caused such insult to Hazrat Yusuf (A.S.) the messenger of Allah (SWT)! You can listen to his ‘bayan’ through the under-mentioned link (5. 26 minutes):-
Many people called him a ‘kafir’ because in this ‘bayan’ he insulted the messenger of Allah (SWT); as also in yet another ‘bayan’ (not in this vlog) he had (probably unintentionally, but surely stupidly) spoke about Ahl-e-Bait Karam (R.A.) in a disrespectful manner. I think we should leave the judgment to Allah (SWT) whether somebody is/was a Muslim/Momin, Munafiq, or Kafir. However, it is advisable to avoid listening to speeches and reading the writings of such persons, because their speeches and writings are more likely to do harm than any good. That is so because such persons are surely unaware of the universal truth/advice, as was amply explained by the poet (of last century) Alexander Pope in the following stanza of his poem:-
“A little learning is a dangerous thing;
Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian Spring:
There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain;
And drinking largely sobers us again.”
(According to Greek mythology, Pierian Spring of Macedonia was the sacred metaphorical source of knowledge. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierian_Spring).
In the case of such irresponsible persons, like the one seen giving a ‘bayan’ in this vlog, the ‘shallow draughts’ which they have taken from the religious books so intoxicate their brain that they claim to be an ‘Aalim’ and indulge in speaking or quoting such untruth which is factually shocking and grieving.
This whole matter being related to religious personalities, initially I was reluctant to write and publish these observations and comments. However, later I decided to write and publish these because of two reasons. Firstly, my duty ordained by Allah (SWT) about ‘Tawasi bil Haq’ i.e. exhorting one another to truth (Reference Surah Al-Asr Ayah 3). Secondly, to communicate an important lesson learnt from these observations, particularly for the humble common Muslims like me.
In that context, I very humbly request all Muslims to ponder and act upon the following five rights of Quran on us:-
- We should have firm Eiman (faith) on Quran, to be the absolute truth and free of any doubt whatsoever, for our guidance in all matters of our life and society. (Reference – Surah Baqara, Ayah 2 “This is the Book; in it is guidance sure, without doubt, to those who fear Allah” (SWT).
Any of our societal, cultural, tribal, beradri traditions etc, which are in violation of any injunction of Quran and its explanation (Sunnah) must therefore be out-rightly rejected.
- We must remain in touch with Quran regularly; preferably daily, even if just for 15-20 minutes during day or night, to be kept in touch with Allah (SWT) and His commandments and guidance, for our own good. That should not be a difficult practice to adopt. Preferably we should study Quran in proper sequence from beginning to end (thus completing the study of Quran may take a year or so).
- Most of us spend lot of our time and energy only in our worldly endeavours (education, profession, etc), ‘outsourcing’ our religious matters (explained in Quran and Sunnah) to ‘Peer Saheban’ and ‘Maulana Saheban’. That is certainly very dangerous a trend. Factually it is our duty to constantly study and act upon Quran; in accordance with the commandment of Allah (SWT) in Surah Muhammad Ayah 24:- (Translation. Do they not then earnestly seek to understand the Qur-ān, or are their hearts locked up by them?)
(Note the word in the Ayah is ‘yatadabarun’ i.e. Allah (SWT) requires each one of us ourselves to deeply ponder upon to understand the injunctions contained in the Ayahs of Quran.
Since most of us do not know meaning of Arabic language, therefore after reciting the Arabic text of Ayah, we must read the translation of each Ayah; and ponder upon it to check whether or not we act in its accordance; if we find our self at fault, we must endeavor to bring our acts in its accordance, praying to Allah (SWT) to help. If we do that we shall surely get to the right path ourselves independent of the ‘Peer Saheban’ and ‘Maulana Saheban’; because Allah (SWT) has promised in Surah Al-Ankabut Ayah 69:-
(Translation. And those who strive in Our (Cause),—We will certainly guide them to Our Paths: for verily Allah is with those who do right).
- Thus keeping us regularly in touch with Quran, deeply studying, even if few Ayahs, daily to get Allah (SWT)’s guidance for removing the wrongs and adopting the virtues in our life, we must endeavour to get used to doing ‘Aamal-e-saleha’ i.e. virtuous deeds (second requirement of Surah Al-Asr Ayah 3).
- Having thus equipped ourselves with the understanding of Quran and practicing its guidance, we should communicate it to those who may be open and responsive (Do not force anybody). That is to fulfill the third and fourth requirements of Surah Al-Asr Ayah 3, i.e. ‘Tawasi bil Haq’ and ‘Tawasi bis Sabr’ (Translation. And (join together) in the mutual teaching of Truth, and of Patience and Constancy).